Acne perhaps the most common skin condition and can affect anyone, male or female and a growing number of people in their 30s, 40s and 50s are experiencing severe acne problems. Acne affects one’s self esteem and without treatment it could lead to spots, permanent scars, low self-esteem and depression. It can appear on the back, chest, neck, shoulders, upper arms and buttocks. Acne comes in different forms:
- Pustules (what many people call pimples).
The good news is that there are ways to manage acne and available treatments to restore your skin to its original flawless state. Most acne treatments are applied to the skin, these topical treatment help kill the acne causing bacteria on the surface of the skin. For mild acne, facial products containing retinoid, antibiotic, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid often clears the skin. These products can be gotten at pharmacies without prescription and always come with a description/how to use leaflet. Results may take from 4-8 weeks. For red swollen acne (cysts and nodules), we recommend that you see a dermatologist. You dermatologist may prescribe stronger topical treatment that is by prescription only, antibiotics that work on your whole body, if s/he feels that it is caused by something internal or may recommend, light therapy, cyst drainage or chemical peels.
In the meantime we suggest that you maintain a healthy lifestyle by:
- Washing your hair regularly and avoiding hair styles that touch the face which may transfer natural hair oils to the face
- Washing your face at least thrice daily with antiseptic or mild soap
- Avoid touching the face or picking pimples with unclean hands
- Change pillow case daily to avoid transfer of germs
- Use no irritating creams and soaps on the face and hands
If you feel like you’ve exhausted all your acne treatment options, it may be time to switch up your diet.
- Reduce salt intake
- Cut back on shellfish
- Cut back on foods that greatly increase blood sugar levels eg donuts, pretzels
- Reduce dairy intake
- Do not overindulge in alcohol, especially spirits
Share with us how you manage acne or how you got rid of yours.